Contact Us

1300 385 738



Online Enquiry

* Required fields

Frequently Asked Questions


To assist, listed below is a list of questions and answers. If you are unable to obtain the answer you are looking for here, please contact your Case Manager or phone our office on 1300 DVJS DVJS (1300 385 738) for further assistance.

Q. Why do I need to provide my Payslips to DVJS

A. It may seem like a privacy issue but when people commence work (in jobs we find or their own) we have to report their earnings to our funding body, Department of Social Services (DSS).

Unfortunately, DSS don’t approve ‘verbal’ verification that you have been working but expect us to report earnings when we make our funding claims & that we have sighted your pay slips.

Your Privacy Matters:  No-one else gets or uses this information that we is kept private & confidential. It is recorded on the DSS computer system & that’s it (we have to file it in case we are audited). We do not use it for any other purpose.

The more claims we can make, the better our performance is against other agencies & the more likelihood of ongoing funding to support you & others who need our support. Post Placement Support staff will check with you regularly so that they can monitor your weekly hours & earnings.

We apologise for this but we HAVE to do it as apart of our funding contract. Every other agency has to do the same.

Q. Do I have to report my income to Centrelink

A. Yes. You must also report your earnings to Centrelink as we do not do it for you.

 Q. If I am studying, will DVJS still  look for work for me?

A. Yes. Your employment consultant will continue to look for work to fit around your study hours.

 Q. What if my job ends, will DVJS help me find another one?

A. If your job ceases your employment consultant will commence looking for work for you again.

 Q. If I am working but not in my ideal role will DVJS continue to keep looking for work on my behalf?

A. When you and your employment consultant start looking for work, you should communicate to him/her about the type of work that you are interested in. Your employment consultant will try to place you in this work. Please speak to your employment consultant about working preferences.

 Q. What do I do if I am going on holidays and will be unable to attend work?

A. You need to inform your employer and DVJS as soon as you know the dates that you will be unavailable and the date that you are intending on returning. If you are going overseas you will need to inform Centrelink of your departure and return date.

 Q. If I am afraid to attend a job interview alone, who can come with me?

A. If you feel uneasy about attending an interview, your employment may be able to attend. Your employment consultant can also conduct mock interviews to assist you with preparing for an interview.

Q. What do I do if I am unwell and can not make it to work or my scheduled appointment with a DVJS Employment Consultant?

A. If for any reason you are not able to keep an appointment, you should notify us prior to your appointment so we can reschedule the appointment.  If you have missed an appointment, you need to contact us as soon as possible and explain why.

Should you fail to do this you may be marked as non attendance and consequently your benefits could be effected. You should also do this if you can’t do or haven’t done something your Employment Pathway Plan says you should do.

If you are unable to attend at your place of employment you need to inform DVJS before your start time. If you have been given a alternate telephone number (your employers number or you post placement support officer) you will need to inform them in due time before you expected start time. 

 Q. If my medical condition becomes more restrictive, what do I do?

A. You will need to talk with your employment consultant about your restrictions.

 Q. Who do I speak to if I have a complaint?

A. Please follow these steps when raising a complaint...

  1. Talk To your Employment Consultant or Maintenance Officer

  2. If they cannot assist you, they will refer the complaint to their manager

  3. If the manager cannot assist you, they will refer your complaint to Steve, our Chief Executive Officer

  4. If Steve cannot assist you, he will refer the complaint to the Board of Management (BOM)

  5. If the BOM cannot assist you they may refer your complaint to an independent body who will try to resolve the complaint

lf however, you feel that you are still not satisfied, you may wish to contact the following...

The National Disability Abuse & Neglect Hotline (Ph 1800 880 052) is available for you to contact should the issue not be resolved after Step 5.

This hotline will report your complaint to the government funding body of DVJS & will provide advocacy support to you as well.

Q. If I start working, what happens to my Centrelink benefits? Will my benefits be cut?

A. Your benefits may or may not be effected by your working status depending on the hours you work each week and rate of pay. Your employment consultant is the best person to contact for more information.

 Q. I do not drive, how do I access the worksite?

A. If you do not drive, you will need to organise your own method of transportation. This may be public transport or help from another person. Please visit the following link to access Victorian public transport timetables. Click here

 Q. Is there any extra support when seeking an apprenticeship?

A. Yes. There is support through the Disabled Australian Wage Support scheme. Please click here to visit the following website for more information.

 Q. Does DVJS inform Centrelink if I start working?

A. No. Once you start a job, YOU MUST NOTIFY CENTRELINK regardless of how much you earn or how long the job is for.

If your work hours or pay increases / reduces you must tell Centrelink so they can adjust your payments accordingly.

We all have heard the ‘horror stories’ of having to repay Centrelink money for over payments. Don’t let this happen to you!  It is your responsibility not ours!

 Q. What do I do with a incapacity certificate(medical certificate)?

A. If you have received a incapacity certificate you must present this to Centerlink. Centerlink will then take all necessary steps for processing.

 Q. Can I register with another Job Agency?

A. Yes you can register with another job agency as long as it is not a Disability Employment Service. You can not be registered with more than 1 DES (Disability Employment Service) at one time. If you gain work through another non DES agency you must inform us of your employment details. You must also notify us of other agencies that you have registered with.

 Q. Do I get paid to go to a work trial?

A. Unless otherwise specified, work trials are generally unpaid. Work trials provide a great opportunity for both jobseekers and employers to view the company, job requirements and assess your ability to perform the role. Please contact you employment consultant about this.